Enjoy island-hopping, world-class diving, pristine beaches, and diverse wildlife in the Kerama Islands
Tokashiki Island, Zamami, Aka, and Geruma are the four inhabited islands of the Keramas. Together with the many uninhabited islands that surround them, they make up Keramashoto National Park. The reef-filled waters around the Kerama Islands are renowned for their transparency and are home to many varieties of coral. Winter offers opportunities to watch humpback whales, which migrate to the area to breed. Hike trails on the islands to view white sandy beaches and dramatic cliffs, or join a diving or snorkeling tour to explore the marine environment. The Kerama Islands' close proximity to Naha makes them a viable day-trip excursion from the main island.
With so much to see and do across 160 different islands, deciding what to do is not always easy. Browse recommended trips, new and trending attractions, travel stories and guides. Be inspired by Okinawa.
- Cherry Blossoms in Okinawa
- Okinawa sees the earliest blooming cherry blossoms in all Japan, and offers great sightseeing opportunities in spring / The arrival of cherry blossoms is the highlight of the Japanese year.
- Yanbaru—Getting Back to Nature
- Explore the forests, mangroves, waterfalls, and unique wildlife of Yambaru National Park. Paddle through mangroves and take a guided night walk to spot rare fauna. / Lush green forests, mangroves, waterfalls, and
- Shurijo Castle’s Road to Recovery
- Shurijo Castle’s road to recovery is long, but visitors can witness every step of progress / On October 31, 2019, a large fire at Shurijo Castle destroyed nine structures, including the Seiden (Main Hall).
- Tracing the Roots of Awamori
- Discover the depth and history of awamori, Okinawa’s representative distilled spirit / A quick ride on the Yui Rail, and once again I found myself in Shuri, Naha’s old city, the heart of Okinawan culture and history.
- Relaxing Retreats in Northern Okinawa
- Find out why northern Okinawa is the perfect place to get off the beaten path in a post-COVID world / As we carefully plan travel in a post-COVID world, personal health and safety have become our top priorities.
- Ishigaki Island—Traditions Inspired by the Sea
- A guide to the rich traditions and vibrant culture of the Yaeyama Islands / Ishigaki is one of the Yaeyama Islands, and home to the southernmost city in Japan. In addition to picture-perfect
- Explore Naha by Bicycle
- Explore the sights and streets of Okinawa’s capital city by bicycle / Naha City has an excellent public transportation system. There’s a new bus center, and the Yui Rail urban monorail connects the airport with