With so much to see and do across 160 different islands, deciding what to do is not always easy. Browse recommended trips, new and trending attractions, travel stories and guides. Be inspired by Okinawa.
Nature & Wildlife
- Discover Okinawa’s Indigenous Horses
- Get to know the Yonaguni pony, an essential part of life on Yonaguni Island / On the westernmost island in the Ryukyu Archipelago live the indigenous Yonaguni ponies. Since ancient times,
- Family Trip to Northern Okinawa
- Discover why northern Okinawa is the perfect place to slow down and spend time with the family / Okinawa is the perfect place for marine sports, there’s amazing scuba diving, snorkeling, surfing, kayaking and even parasailing.
- Family Fun in Yambaru National Park
- Enjoy local flavors, natural beauty, and family fun in northern Okinawa / Home to the magnificent Yambaru National Park, the northern part of Okinawa Island is an area rich in natural beauty and rare wildlife. Spend an enjoyable day in this exciting part of Okinawa.
- Explore Picture-Perfect Flower Spots
- Okinawa is a flower-filled paradise, where visitors can enjoy beautiful blooms all year round / The subtropical climate of Okinawa means that the islands are filled with seasonal blooms throughout the year,
Heritage & Tradition
- The Beauty and Culture of the Yaeyama Islands
- Explore Okinawa’s remote islands to learn about unique island culture / The Yaeyama Islands include Ishigaki, Taketomi, Kohama, Kuroshima, Hatoma, Aragusuku (Panari), Iriomote, Yubu, and Yonaguni islands.
- A Journey Through Okinawan Karate
- Discover the living legacy of karate, Okinawa’s iconic martial art / Karate is a unique part of Okinawan culture. The martial art was born in Okinawa, and is now practiced by more than 130 million
- Okinawa’s Local Culture and Ryukyu Heritage
- Beyond symbolic icons such as limestone castles, centenarian citizens, three-stringed sanshin, and earthen lion dogs perched on tiled rooftops, Japan’s southernmost archipelago has a distinct culture rooted in the deep history of the Ryukyu Kingdom. From eating local longevity food to natural indigo dyeing in the mountains, there are many ways visitors can engage with Okinawa’s unique cultural heritage.
- Ushiorase—Okinawan Bullfighting
- Experience the exciting tradition of ushiorase—Okinawan-style bullfighting / Ushiorase is an Okinawan style of bullfighting where two bulls lock horns in competition with each other in an arena,
Flavors of Okinawa
- The Revival of a Ryukyu Spirit
- In addition to awamori, Okinawa is home to imuge, a unique island spirit distilled from sweet potatoes / During the time of the Ryukyu Kingdom, working-class locals brewed their own alcohol.
- Explore the Old-School Atmosphere of Sakaemachi
- Naha’s Sakaemachi area is home to tiny alleyways full of retro charm / My first impression when I arrived in Okinawa was how welcoming people are. Even if you don’t speak Japanese, people seem interested and do their best to
- A Gourmet Adventure in Okinawa
- Taste unique dishes made from fresh, local ingredients with a culinary journey in Okinawa / While relatively small, the main island of Okinawa is home to a wealth of diversity. From the lush forests of
- Tracing the Roots of Awamori
- Discover the depth and history of awamori, Okinawa’s representative distilled spirit / A quick ride on the Yui Rail, and once again I found myself in Shuri, Naha’s old city, the heart of Okinawan culture and history.
Shopping & Relaxation
- Take a Relaxing Trip to Kume Island
- Relax and feel refreshed with a tropical retreat to Kume Island / Kume Island is blessed with pure water, which might help explain its Okinawan name, Kumi no Shima, which means “most beautiful island.”
- Enjoy Rest and Relaxation in Southern Okinawa
- Refresh both body and spirit with a relaxing getaway on the southern side of Okinawa’s main island / Okinawa’s warm subtropical climate and clear, azure waters have made the islands a popular marine sports destination.
- Okinawan Products for the New Normal
- These hand sanitizers offer gentle, effective protection utilizing local, natural ingredients / The spread of COVID-19 has led to a new normal for everyone, which includes regular use of antibacterial products.
- Naturally Relaxing Retreats in World Heritage Okinawa
- Okinawa’s rich natural heritage beckons adventurous travelers to sustainably explore the wild, while the southern archipelago’s mild climate makes it an ideal place for a seaside workcation at any time of year.
Activities & Experiences
- Get to Know Naha
- These three themed tours are the perfect way to explore Okinawa’s capital / The city of Naha is multifaceted. It was the main port and trade hub in the heyday of the Ryukyu Kingdom,
- Get a Birds-Eye View of Okinawa
- Helicopter tours offer a unique way to appreciate the beauty of Okinawa’s islands / Whether riding on horseback, cruising in a camper van, or under the waves on a diving excursion,
- A Pilgrimage to the Ruins of Tamagusuku Castle
- Follow in the footsteps of Ryukyu kings with a journey to ruins steeped in myth / Nanjo is a city in the southeast of Okinawa’s main island. It is also the location of Sefa-utaki, a World Heritage Site,
- Okinawa Snorkeling Guide
- Discover what you can see and where to go for some of the best snorkeling in Okinawa / Okinawa is one of the world’s most coral-rich regions. More than 200 of the world’s 800 coral species can
- Presenting the Power of Okinawa “Power of Place”
- Places like Churaumi Aquarium and Shuri Castle are wonderful to visit, that is true, but if you take one step further you can witness typical Okinawan scenery and how the people here live. Experience red-tiled roofs and coral walls, small but wonderful side paths that lead to the sea, or flavors produced in this special place called Okinawa.
- Presenting the Power of Okinawa “Power of Textiles”
- How did the unique view of the world shown in traditional Okinawan textiles come about? Muneyoshi Yanagi, a researcher of folk arts with a deep understanding of Okinawa’s traditional culture, said “Wherever you go in Japan, there are few regions that can match the exceptional and diverse fabrics found in Okinawa.
- Workcation in Okinawa
- Enjoy Okinawa’s relaxed island vibes with a workcation getaway / As more and more jobs transitioned to accommodate working remotely, the concept of the “workcation” was born. With its diverse accommodation options,
- Contribute to Okinawa’s Sustainability with Responsible Travel
- Join the island communities of Okinawa in their effort to preserve the environment they call home / For more than 20 years, Okinawa has nurtured a growing trend toward achieving sustainability on all levels of society.